5 Poisonous Foods for Pets

5 Poisonous Foods for Pets

Which Foods are Toxic to Dogs and Cats?

As pet lovers, we’re bound to share food with our furry family members. However, giving our pet food during meal time is not always safe for their health. Take a look at five dangerous (sometimes even deadly) foods you should never feed your pet — and call the nearest animal hospital or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680 should it happen accidentally.

1. Alcohol

Most pet owners know that beer, wine and other alcoholic drinks aren’t safe for pets. But did you know that desserts made with alcohol are also dangerous for dogs and cats? Homemade or store bought yeast dough should be avoided too. Even a small amount of alcohol can harm your pet, so best not to leave any alcoholic food or drink within your pets reach.  

2. Onions (and Garlic)

Never feed your pet Alliums such as onions or garlic. If large amounts are consumed, it can cause the destruction of red blood cells. Symptoms of a poisoned pet include exhaustion and lack of appetite.

3. Grapes (and Raisins)

If eaten, grapes and raisins (which are just dried grapes) can increase urination and even induce vomiting in pets. In the most severe situations, grape or raisin poisoning can lead to kidney failure in dogs and cats.

4. Xylitol

Found in candy and other foods which are artificially sweetened, Xylitol can cause dogs and cats to have liver damage and a dangerous drop in blood sugar. Depending on the quantity ingested, Xylitol causes low blood sugar within 15 minutes of consumption as well as vomiting.

5. Chocolate

Don’t make the mistake of treating your pet a chocolate candy or dessert. Chocolate is extremely toxic to both cats and dogs, often causing both diarrhea and vomiting. When large amounts are eaten, the consumption of chocolate can even lead to seizures and respiratory failure.