A Dog Named Psycho Saves His Family from a Rattlesnake

Monday, August 12, 2013

A Dog Named Psycho Saves His Family from a Rattlesnake

A dog named Psycho might have earned the name he was given this past week when he saved a little girl in his family from a striking rattlesnake.

The incident happened in the border town of Hueco Tanks, Texas when Maya Delarosa was making mud pies with her sister. “I hear a hiss and a rattle and I look down and there's a snake,” Maya told KTSM 9 News.

Luckily for the sisters, Maya’s grandmother’s ten pound Chihuahua-poodle mix, Psycho, came to their rescue, getting between the girls and the snake just before it struck.

The bite landed on Psycho’s eyelid instead of on the girls. "I love my little dog… I mean he saved her life,” Martha Rodriguez, Psycho’s mom, told KTSM reporters.

Venomous snake bites in small dogs can be very dangerous. However, Dr. Vickie Dashley treated Psycho with an anti-venom vaccine and it appears that Psycho, who is being a hailed a hero, is going to be ok.

"He's just got a lot of swelling around that eye. We won't know for sure until the swelling has gone down but we think the eye is going to be saveable (sic),” Dr. Dashley says.

Dogs in rattlesnake country can get a vaccine in advance of a bite. Dog parents should discuss the vaccine with their veterinarian if they feel their dogs might be suspect able to rattlesnake bites.

Editor’s Note: Photo of Psycho from the KTSM Facebook page.

Do you live in rattlesnake country and does your dog receive the vaccine? Please tell us in the comment section below.

Share With Other Pet Parents: