Rescued Pit Bull Saves Family from Fire

Monday, December 09, 2013

As a family of six in Virginia settled in for the night on Saturday, they lit the fireplace to keep warm. What they didn't know: Their rescued pit bull was about to return the favor by saving their lives.

Sammie the pit bull started jumping on the bed of Tina Sharpe, who was sleeping in her home in Hanover County, Va.

When Sharpe got out of bed to see why Sammie was upset, the room was already filled with smoke. She couldn't see anything. 

Sharpe, whose sister owns Sammie, alerted the rest of the family. All made it to safety.

“If it wasn’t for the dog, we’d be dead,” homeowner Brenda Sharpe told WTVR News.  

The family lost everything, but the most important thing is that they’re all safe and they have the family dog to thank.

“She is a hero,” Tina Sharpe says.

The fire is thought to have started in the chimney. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Do you think rescued animals know they’ve been rescued and return the favor if they have the opportunity?

 

Share With Other Pet Parents: